BCBG Alton moto jacket (last seen here), Embellished sweat tee c/o Black Swan, Zara sweatpants (similar here), French Connection crossbody bag, Zara silver chain bracelets (similar here), Elizabeth and James wedge boots (similar here). Shot by Isaac Lacey.
If there's one trend I've noticed that's not going anywhere soon, it's got to be the Fashion Sweat. Essentially, it's finding a way to wear sweatpants/ sweatshirts out in public without looking like a total slob... perfect for a low-key weekend or even for rolling out of bed on a Monday. Think of it as the off-duty branch of the Sporty Chic trend, epitomized by the most recent Alexander Wang for H&M collection. You'd be surprised however: nailing this look is easier said than done! So for anyone looking to try this trend on for size, I've included a few of my own tips below. Feel free to add your own tips and tricks in the comments!xL
HOW TO WEAR SWEATS OUT
(Without Looking Like a Hot Mess)
1. Shape Matters: When it comes to sweatpants, look for lean silhouettes that elongate your body, instead of baggy options that drown out your shape. I love a great drop-crotch sweatpant that tapers at the ankle or has a band around the ankle to keep legs looking slim.
2. Embellish Away: Keep sweatpants and sweatshirts from looking too basic by letting little details (think pretty prints or dainty embellishments like the sweat tee I'm wearing above) elevate the look for you.
3. Fancy Footwear: Keep your look from being too sporty by staying away from sneakers and athletic footwear when you're wearing sweats. A fun wedge, boot, or even a dainty heel (if you so dare) help indicate that you didn't just come in from a run.
4. Balance it Out: Add a touch of class to your look by tossing a tailored jacket or sleek coat over your sweats. This helps counter any baggier pieces and add structure to the outfit.
5. Wear it Well: If you're going to wear sweats out, you better rock em! Stand up straight and don't let the clothes overpower your frame. The more you slouch the more you'll look like the lazy bum you actually are inside (your secret's safe with me).